Call 01702 477248 Email Us
The Community Centre building was constructed in 1914 as the premises for the Conservative and Unionist Club Ltd. The building was originally proposed to contain four shop units to the ground floor which were to be let separately from the rest of the Club. The building was designed by Percy R Fincher who also built other houses in the area, but the Centre seems to have been his largest commission in the town. The building also originally housed the Conservative and Unionist Club which comprised of a billiards room, buffet lounge, smoking room, reading room and a large hall for political meetings.
The building was extended in 1923 by the same architect to include the creation of an additional function room at first floor, behind the main facade and partly covering the original central light well and a narrow extension on the north side of the building which is visible above the northern most door on the front elevation. Both these extensions were in keeping with the overall architecture of the building.
The building was subsequently occupied by Southend Adult Community College, and was taken over by Leigh-on-Sea Town Council in 2012 and has since become a thriving venue for community activities and uses.